Page 1 of 3
From farmers' village to Baltic seaside resortSellin was mentioned for the first time in a document in 1295 as »zelineke beke«. The name is derived from the slavic root »zelino«. This means: green land. »Beke« - or brook refers to a German origin.
Over the centuries the village belonged to the manorial system of the late Princes to Putbus. The inhabitants were unfree and bound to the clod. After 1750 a weaver and a tailor, a baker, a cartwright and a sailor settled on the Sellin heathland. 1786 the village was set up as a small farmland with six farmsteads.
In 1806 when serfdom was abolished, Sellin counted 104 inhabitants, among them 34 freemen. The Sweden times (1648 – 1815) ended, when the island of Ruegen was handed over to Prussia.