Page 1 of 7
Famous Sellin sea bridge
The Sellin sea bridge was built in 1906. Until this time holiday guests had to be brought ashore with sailing boats. At a serious boat accident in 1900 several passengers lost their life. To make landing easier the local authority erected a small landing stage in 1901 and a seabridge 5 years later. All in all the building was 508,50 metres long. Guests reached the village over the so-called „stairways to heaven“ with its 99 steps. The sea bridge was several times heavily damaged by storms and ice. Two times, in 1924 and in 1942, it was completely destroyed except for the bridgehouse. After the war the super-strucuture was rebuilt to a popular ballhouse.
In the nineties the Sellin pier was reconstructed after the historical model of 1927. In the presence of former beach photographer and freeman of Sellin, Hans Knospe, the building was festively handed over to the Sellin public on 4. April 1998. It became a main attraction of our seaside resort and the village regained its symbol. Proudly the new bridge raises again over the sea and offers its visitors diverse catering facilities in its palm garden and the nostalgic emperor’s pavillion.