Page 1 of 2
Once the mills were important landmarks for the silhouettes of villages
Numerous wind and water mills once marked the island’s scenery and the image of villages. Still around 1900 more than 200 mills on Rügen were grounding cereal. As there were in our neighbourhood the “Bockwindmühle” (post windmill) in Lancken-Granitz, a Dutch type of mill in Seedorf, another one in Altensien and also there, the post windmill by farmer Schälke.
The Lancken mill had been mentioned for the first time in 1396, while the other mills were erected from the mid-19th century. The subservient people of the royalty in Putbus, whereto also Sellin and the surrounding villages belonged, were told to grind their wheat at the royal mills or at those who rented it. The miller’s salary consisted of a determined part of the ground flour. (…).
In 1708 the millers of the isle of Rügen formed an association and established the “Rügenschen Mülleramt zu Bergen” (miller’s office). Their most important meeting was dedicated to the so-called “Morgensprache” (morning speech) at which, in attendance of independent masters, justice was administered. From general mill matters to trouble concerning deals amongst millers or complaints by the public about bad, sandy or unusable flour. At the exhibit they hopefully damaged their teeth. Bills of the yearly “Krugtage” (jar days) proof that the millers also liked to celebrate. In 1739 the millers drank just at the morning speech 2 tons of beer. At the jar day they had 60 punds of beef and much fresh fish to eat. Furthmore salt, pepper and ginger for spice, and white bread, 8 punds of butter, 7 jars of brandy and pipes with tobacco.
brochure »MÜHLENSICHTEN« download here >